Friday, March 26, 2010

FUN with Dinner

Next Thursday is April Fool's Day. Do you know what you're having for dinner?
How about CAKE?


Actually, this delicious looking treat is two meat loaves, baked in 8-in. round cake pans, and frosted with mashed potatoes. I decorated it with ketchup and mustard dots.
My children look forward to cake for dinner every April 1.

And for dessert?
We'll be having taco salad. (Don't have a picture. Sorry!)
Scoop ice cream into waffle bowls and decorate them with coconut which has been colored green and yellow. (To look like lettuce and cheese.) Maraschino cherries serve as tomatoes, cut up licorice will be your black olives, and whipped topping looks like sour cream.

Give it a try. I promise, your family will love it!

~Karen

5 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I'll be using your dinner menu next Thursday.

    As I mentioned in a comment on Sarah's Olympics post, these types of creative ideas don't come naturally for me! So, I really appreciate it when other moms share what has worked for them.

    Feeling very grateful for FF&F!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn, I want to hear how this turns out for you. I'll ask Emma. *grin*
    Feeling grateful for YOU.

    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We won’t be home for dinner tomorrow night, so I surprised my family with an early April’s Fools Day dinner. Karen, they loved it!!! Thanks again for sharing.

    Ok, I have to ask. My mashed potatoes were ummhhh . . . uhhhrrrr . . . not of a consistency that lends itself to frosting with a knife. So, I used my fingers and decorated with candles. Were you able to "frost" your cake? Regardless, I admire your presentation skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilyn, the mashed potatoes for frosting were applied with a combination of spoons and fingers. The decorating was done with a pastry bag and star tip, and sometimes a potatoe chunk got stuck. But with enough pressure, it usually "shot out" and I could move on.
    Of course, that was last year's cake. Tonight I gave up half way through the decorating because I couldn't get the chunk to come free. Ended up making a big heart on the top of the 'cake' with ketchup and everyone thought it was just as good.

    So glad your family loved it! *grin*

    ReplyDelete