Monday, October 26, 2009

Poser

I just received a truth that is rocking my world. How did I miss this all my life?

Poser. We have heard that word before. We all fit into that mold in one way or another. I truly have known poser days. But Philippians 2:3 just hit me upside the head. It states, “Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.”

Don’t try to impress others? Man, do I ever want to impress others! I want people to think I have my junk together. Is that so bad? Why is it that being transparent - being real and open - is so hard to live day-to-day?

Easy! If I weren’t faking, posing, or painting on the face I wanted you to see, it would show you who I really am. And, that scares me. I know my heart and my thoughts and if you did, too, you would say, “Nut job!” But, here’s where the verse struck me, “…thinking of others as better than yourselves.” Honestly, I think I’ve always translated that word in my mind from “thinking” to “treating.”

Personally, I believe “thinking” is deeper and more intense than “treating.” Think of you as better? Hmmm…wouldn’t it be much easier to do this thing superficially, treat you nicely, put you first, give you my parking space? But, really I must be thinking of you as better, too.

That is where the poser comes in. I spend most of my life posing to others that I value them and think highly of them based on my actions towards them. We are a pretty civilized group, for the most part. We do treat most people kindly and, in an insincere kind of way, we are act as though we like those around us.

But what about our thoughts? Why did God ask for our thoughts in this verse and not just our actions? Is it possible to muster up thoughts of love, selflessness for our mother-in-law, our boss, our brother? Can we do this? Can we love and care for the hardest most difficult people in our life on a heart level? My first thought was, “not in this life time!” and then came Philippians 2:13 “God is …..giving you the DESIRE and POWER to do what pleases Him”.

Can He give me the desire to love others with a deep and honest love that does not end with a thought of, “that person drives me crazy!”. Can do away with the pretense? Can the poser become real? God says Yes!

~ Tim

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for these thoughts, Tim.
    Being REAL often seems the unpleasant option - would be so much nicer if everyone thought I was perfect!
    But I have spent all the time posing as perfect that I can handle. But I've found that when I'm real, other people feel free to be real, too. And when we're real with each other, well, those thoughts of love and selflessness aren't so much of a stretch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent many years being a poser. It's hard to be real but that's where I find freedom. I love the uniqueness of the body of Christ.

    Please be YOU. Without apologies.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved a comment you once made, "I'm going to be an example of a father for my kids to follow." Being real and honest is a start and I believe you're blazing a trail for others to follow.

    ReplyDelete